Shooting video has evolved over the years, especially when it comes to smartphones. These days, a ton of content creators prefer to travel light and use smartphones to capture their footage and share it in an instant. As such, the demand for top-tier accessories to enhance that experience has skyrocketed as well.
Enter the DJI Osmo Mobile 3. The third iteration of arguably the world’s best smartphone gimbal retains everything one loves about its predecessors and more.
The first of these, of course, is the ability for the Osmo Mobile 3 to fold into practically half its size. While the Osmo Mobile 2 and Osmo Mobile had small form factors as well, they were still a little unwieldy to pack into one’s backpack due to their awkward shape. The Osmo Mobile 3 will no doubt put those complaints to rest with the new ability to fold into a much more compact shape for easier storage.
Another significant change is the switch from a horizontal grip to a vertical one. One of the main drawbacks of the previous two models was that they were not very accommodating to larger smartphones such as the Samsung Galaxy Note 10. As such, they did away with three points of contact in favour of two without compromising the counterweight, which allows you to mount larger smartphones onto the Osmo Mobile 3 without any hassle.
A revamped button layout enables you to access the DJI Osmo Mobile 3’s most important functions, such as the shutter, joystick, switch to toggle between portrait and landscape modes, all with just one thumb.
Here are some of the other nifty tricks you can perform on the Osmo Mobile 3 using the DJI Mimo app:
- Story Mode: Bring creative editing to your video with a host of preset music, video transitions, and filters. Choose one of 13 fun templates and Mimo will handle the camera movement for you. After shooting, Mimo automatically generates your very own professionally edited short video, ready to be shared.
- Gesture Control: Easily snap a selfie without pressing any buttons. Once Gesture Control is enabled, show a “peace sign” or put up your palm and Osmo Mobile 3 will begin a photo timer countdown.
- Sport Mode: Similar to the useful feature from the DJI Ronin series, Sport mode increases the response speed of the device to keep up when shooting fast-moving scenes.
- ActiveTrack 3.0: DJI’s image recognition and deep learning algorithms allow Osmo Mobile 3 to recognize and follow subjects of your choice, perfect for capturing family moments easily with a tap.
- TimeLapse & MotionLapse: If you’re looking to turn minutes into seconds, Timelapse is perfect for capturing unique content with the effect of the world moving faster around you, while Motionlapse adds the dynamic element of movement to your Timelapse by setting points for the camera to move to.
- HyperLapse: Take the appealing visuals from Timelapse and add movement by manually moving Osmo Mobile 3 with you. Additionally, HyperLapse not only supports real-time Electronic Image Stabilization (EIS) but also ActiveTrack 3.0.
- Panorama: Get a wider perspective with panorama mode. Users can choose between 3×3 and 180° panorama modes.
- Slow Motion: Slow down the world around you with 4X or 8X Slow Motion.
The DJI Osmo Mobile 3 is available for purchase now at the DJI online store, the DJI Lazada flagship store (at a later time), and select Apple Stores across Singapore. It will be available in two packages: the standard version for US$105, which includes the Osmo Mobile 3, a wrist strap, storage pouch and anti-slip pads, or in a combo for US$125, which includes all of the above including the Osmo Grip tripod and the Osmo Carrying Case.
Marion has a serious RPG addiction. Sometimes it bleeds into real life; he forgets to sleep because he thinks he has a Witcher’s body clock. Forgive him in advance if he suddenly blurts out terms such as “Mind Flayer” and “Magic Missile”, because never once does he stop thinking about his next Dungeons & Dragons game.