The time to take to the streets and feel the rush of the chase will soon be upon us, as EA and Criterion officially unveiled Need for Speed Unbound, the latest entry in the long-running franchise that will arrive on 2 December.
Players will enter the driving seat of their own street racing fantasy, proving their mettle in The Grand, Lakeshore’s ultimate street racing challenge, all while trying to stay out of the target of the cops. And as earlier leaks and the new reveal trailer indicated, this racing game is taking its look in a whole new direction.
Need for Speed Unbound features an all-new, unique visual style blending elements of street art with the most realistic-looking cars in the franchise’s history, as seen in the trailer. It is definitely an eye-catching way of depicting the action that awaits in both the innovative single-player campaign as well as multiplayer.
“Need for Speed Unbound is all about self-expression, taking risks and disrupting the status quo by just being you – through your racing style, unique car builds, fashion, music and much more,” said Kieran Crimmins, Creative Director at Criterion Games.
“We are inspired to create a truly authentic universe where players see themselves represented in the game. The visual experience of Unbound redefines expectation, with a new signature art style that brings graffiti to life, intensifies the competition, and creates adrenaline-inducing, high-speed action.”
The new racer is also built for the new generation of technology and will feature 4K resolution at 60 FPS for the first time in the series when it launches on PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X/S and PC on 2 December.
Need for Speed Unbound is set to challenge the conventions of the racing genre and ups the ante by introducing true consequences with impactful risk and reward for every race, decision and side bet made. Players uncover the world of Lakeshore when a robbery at a family auto shop tears two friends apart and sets a rookie racer on a journey to win the ultimate street race and reclaim the priceless car that was stolen from them.
Here are the main features of the game:
- The World is Each Player’s Canvas: Graffiti comes to life in a new art style as players ride through the city equipped with a brand-new toolkit of high-energy visual and sound effects, like Burst Nitrous, which rewards players with style-based boost, reflecting how they drive.
- Run the Streets: The more players race, the more heat they build up. Choose to outdrive or outsmart cops using new escape mechanics to take control of the chase to earn big rewards or even bigger consequences for getting busted.
- Self-Expression and Style: Hundreds of cosmetic items, including exclusive licensed gear from some of the world’s pioneering fashion innovators and custom automotive gear companies, give players endless options to not only kit out their car but show off their personal style in Need for Speed Unbound.
- Find Freedom in the Flow: Ride to a genre-defying soundtrack of trailblazing artists from the world of hip-hop led by multi-hyphenated artist, entrepreneur, actor and fashion icon A$AP Rocky and his creative agency AWGE, including the world premiere of A$AP Rocky’s brand new track “Shttin’ Me”, also featured in the reveal trailer.
- Takeover Scene featuring A$AP Rocky: A$AP Rocky will appear in-game as the leader of the Takeover Scene, a new replayable precision driving mode that brings together the community to take over parts of the city and celebrate driving with style over pure speed. AWGE also functioned as creative consultants on the game.
Following the launch of Need for Speed Unbound, there will be a series of free content updates available and include new features, experiences, content drops and more. Additional details on post-launch content will be revealed soon.