This is unlike the PS4, which allowed users to manually copy their game saves onto a USB drive. As revealed by TweakTown, the only way to back up game saves for next-gen PS5 exclusives like Demon Souls or Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales is to do so via PS Plus.
Users will still be able to manually import and export PS4 saves on the PS5, they just won’t be able to do so for any PS5 exclusive games.
This essentially means that game save backups are now behind a paywall for PS5 owners. Sony might change this sometime in the future but for now, it might be best for you to get a PlayStation Plus membership to save a copy of your game, in the event that something bad happens to your PS5.
Check out more on the PS5:
- Geek Review: PlayStation 5
- The PS5 Will Only Have 667GB Of Usable Storage Space Out Of The Box
- Player Demand Will Determine If PlayStation 5 Supports 1440p
- PS5 Allows You To Run PS4 But Not PS5 Games Directly Off An External Drive
- PS5 Disassembled: A Look At Everything Inside The Console
- Which PlayStation 5 Games Should You Buy At Launch?
- PlayStation Changes Up Trophy Levelling System Ahead of PlayStation 5 Launch