[Update (as of 8 June): Changes have been made to reflect the most updated schedule below, including IGN’s Summer of Gaming event. As the timetable continues to change with the current events of real world, some dates may not be cast in stone, so do keep any eye out as more details are announced and confirmed.]
Under normal circumstances, E3 2020 would have been the main point of attraction for summer. But the continued spread of COVID-19 has put a halt to the traditional gaming schedule, with ESA cancelling the annual event for the first time since its debut in 1996, and other companies pushing back or terminating their showcases.
Yet, the show must still go on. In place of physical press conferences, the gaming industry has sought out online spaces as an alternative, where livestreams, announcements, and videos are delivered virtually, much like the Nintendo Direct presentations.
From the digital iteration of E3 2020 (of sorts) to IGN’s Summer of Gaming, here’s the full list of every online game event slated for the whole of summer.
|Date||Showcase||Time (PDT)||Singapore Time (GMT+8)|
|6 June, Sat||Indie Live Expo||4am||7pm|
|6 June, Sun||Guerrilla Collective Live (Game Showcase by People of Colour)||10am||1am (7 June)|
|10 June – 25 June||IGN Summer of Gaming (details in next section)||VARIED||VARIED|
|11 June, Thurs||The Escapist Indie Showcase||12pm||3am (12 June)|
|13 June- 15 June||Guerrilla Collective Live||VARIED||VARIED|
|13 June, Sat||PC Gaming Show||12pm||3am (14 June)|
|13 June, Sat||Future Game Show||2.30pm||5.30am (14 June)|
|15 June, Sun||Upload VR||2.30pm||5.30am (16 June)|
|16 June to 22 June||Steam Game Festival: Summer Edition (hosted by Geoff Keighley)||VARIED||VARIED|
|18 June, Thurs||EA Play||4pm||7am (19 June)|
|22 June – 26 June||BIG Digital (Brazil’s Independent Games Festival)||TBA||TBA|
|23 June, Tues||New Game+ Expo||8am||11pm|
|25 June, Thurs||Night City Wire (Cyberpunk 2077)||TBA||TBA|
|27 June – 28 June||BitSummit Gaiden||TBA||TBA|
|11 July, Sat||Warframe TennoCon||TBA||TBA|
|12 July, Sun||Ubisoft Forward||12pm||3am (13 July)|
|27 August, Mon||Gamescom Opening Night||TBA||TBA|
|TBA||PlayStation 5: The Future of Gaming||TBA||TBA|
Summer of Gaming (10 June to 25 June)
A new global event set to fill the void of E3 2020, IGN’s Summer of Gaming features a suite of programming planned for kick-off in early June, and will bring the latest gaming and console hardware news to viewers. Big industry players like 2K, Square Enix, SEGA, Bandai Namco, Amazon, and Google Stadia are expected to make an appearance and join the line-up of hands-on demos, preview impressions, gameplay, news recaps, developer interviews, and more. Full details are as follows, with 10 June 2020 being the starting date:
- Pre-show Charity Stream: Doom Eternal Speedrunner Countdown Challenge by Xamide (12pm PDT, 3am GMT+8)
IGN Expo (starting from 1.45pm PDT, 4.45am GMT+8):
- Unannounced Classic Revival (Merge Games) – Exclusive Game Reveal
- Unannounced Game (Fabraz) – Exclusive Game Reveal
- Unannounced Game (Funcom / The Outsiders) – Exclusive Unannounced Gameplay Reveal with The Outsiders’ David Goldfarb
- Unannounced Games (Arcade1Up) – Exclusive Arcade and Pinball Machine Reveals and Interview
- Beyond Blue (E-Line Media) – Exclusive Trailer Reveal
- Chivalry 2 (Torn Banner Studios and Tripwire Presents) – Exclusive Announcement and Trailer Reveal
- Dual Universe (Novaquark) – Exclusive Trailer Reveal
- Pathfinder: Kingmaker (Deep Silver) – Exclusive Trailer Reveal
- Voidtrain (Nearga) – Exclusive Trailer Reveal
- Wasteland 3 (Deep Silver) – World Exclusive Trailer
- Werewolf: The Apocalypse (Nacon) – Earthblood Exclusive Cinematic Trailer
- GTFO (10 Chambers Collective) – Exclusive Gameplay
- Mortal Shell (Cold Symmetry) – Exclusive Gameplay World Premiere
- Observer: System Redux (Bloober Team) – Exclusive Next-Gen Deep Dive
- Second Extinction (Systemic Reaction) – Exclusive Gameplay World Premiere
- Yakuza: Like a Dragon (SEGA) – Exclusive Gameplay and Interview
- Borderlands 3 (Gearbox) – Exclusive “Bounty of Blood” DLC Preview w/ Gearbox Creative Director Matt Cox
- The Waylanders (Gato Studio) – Exclusive Trailer and Launch Date Announcement, and Hands-On Impressions
- Rustler (Grand Theft Horse), Jutsu Games, Games Operators – Exclusive Gameplay
- The Riftbreaker, EXOR Studios – Exclusive Gameplay
- Bravery Network Online, Gloam – Exclusive Gameplay
- Special icons interview: David Hayter, the original voice of Solid Snake, discusses Metal Gear.
- Pre-show charity stream: Titanfall 2 Speedrunner Countdown Challenge by Bryonato (12.30pm PDT, 3.30am GMT+8)
IGN Expo #2 (starting from 2.15pm PDT, 5.15am GMT+8):
- Unannounced Game (Merge Games) – Exclusive Game Reveal
- Unannounced Game Reveal – Exclusive Reveal Trailer
- Stronghold: Warlords (Firefly Studios) – Exclusive Multiplayer Trailer and Launch Date Announcement
- XIII (Microids) – Exclusive Gameplay Trailer Reveal
- Blankos Block Party (Mythical Games) – Exclusive Trailer Debut, Exclusive Gameplay
- Iron Oath (Humble Bundle) – Exclusive Reveal Trailer and First Gameplay Reveal and Interview
- Samurai Jack: Battle Through Time (Soleil Games) – Exclusive Gameplay First Look
- Spellbreak (Proletariat, Inc) – Exclusive Announcement, Gameplay Interview, and Trailer
- Star Renegades, Massive Damage – Exclusive Gameplay
- Boyfriend Dungeon, Kitfox Games – Exclusive Gameplay
- Pre-show charity stream: Bloodborne Speedrunner Countdown Challenge by heyZeusHeresToast (1pm PT, 4am GMT+8)
IGN Expo #3 (starting from 2.50pm PDT, 5.50am GMT+8) – Trailers:
- 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim (SEGA / ATLUS) – Exclusive Reveal Debut
- Castlestorm 2 (Zen Studios) – Launch Announcement Trailer
- Everspace 2 (ROCKFISH Games) – Exclusive Alpha Gameplay Reveal Trailer and Interview with ROCKFISH Games CEO & Co-Founder Michael Schade
- Guilty Gear Strive (Arc Systems Works) – Exclusive Character Reveal Trailer
- Phantasy Star Online 2 Update (SEGA) – Exclusive Trailer Reveal
- Ranch Simulator (Excalibur Games) – Exclusive Gameplay Trailer
- Chicken Police (THQ) – Exclusive Gameplay Reveal and Interview With [email protected]
- Hardspace Shipbreaker (Blackbird Interactive) – Exclusive Gameplay Deep Dive
- Skater XL (Easy Day Studios) – Exclusive Switch Footage Reveal and Demo
- Total War: Troy (Creative Assembly) – Exclusive Gameplay Interview
- Warhammer 40k: Mechanicus (Kasedo Games) – Exclusive Gameplay and Commentary
- Blue Fire (Graffiti Games/Robi Studios) – Exclusive Preview
- Unto The End, 2 Ton Studios – Exclusive Gameplay
- Special icons interview: Brian Fargo discusses the founding of Blizzard, and why RPG fans should be looking forward to Wasteland 3.
- Unannounced Game Reveal – Exclusive Reveal Trailer
- Humble Bundle Indies Showcase
- Ninjala (GungHo Entertainment) – Exclusive Trailer Reveal
- Vigor (Bohemia Interactive) – Exclusive Trailer Reveal
- Corepunk (Artificial Core) – Exclusive Gameplay and Interview
- Destroy All Humans! (THQ Nordic) – Gameplay and Interview
- Fight Crab (PLAYISM) – Exclusive Trailer Reveal and Gameplay
- Forgotten City (Modern Storyteller) – Exclusive Trailer Reveal, Gameplay, and Interview
- Mafia: Definitive Edition (Hangar 13) – Worldwide Gameplay Debut w/ Hangar 13 President and CCO Haden Blackman
- Recompile (Phigames) – Exclusive Gameplay Interview
- New World (Amazon Game Studios) – Exclusive War PvP Gameplay, Developer Interview
- Shing! (Mass Creation) – Exclusive Developer Gameplay Walkthrough
- Solasta Crown of the Magister (Tactical Adventures) – Exclusive Gameplay Trailer and Gameplay Interview
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Battle for Bikini Bottom (THQ Nordic) – Rehydrated Exclusive Early Access Livestream
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Battle for Bikini Bottom (THQ Nordic) – Rehydrated Exclusive Gameplay Interview
- Scarlet Nexus (Bandai Namco) – Exclusive Trailer and Gameplay Interview with Game Director Kenji Anabuki
- Special icon interview: Tony Hawk tells us about the origins of the upcoming Pro Skater remake, and how it might answer hardcore fans’ prayers.
- 30XX, Massive Damage – Exclusive Gameplay
- Post-stream charity stream: Spongebob: Battle for Bikini Bottom Speedrunner Countdown Challenge by Rubbertoe64
- Pre-show charity stream: TBA Speedrunner Countdown Challenge (8.45am PDT, 11.45 GMT+8)
- The Falconeer (Wired Productions) – Exclusive Story Trailer
- Drake Hollow (The Molasses Flood) – Exclusive Gameplay Trailer and Announcement
- Fallout 76 (Bethesda) – DLC Roadmap
- Remnant: From the Ashes (Gunfire Games) – Gameplay and Interview with Gunfire Games
- Unannounced – Developer Interview and Exclusive Gameplay Deep-Dive
- Special icon interview: Chris Avellone, writer of Fallout New Vegas and Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, discusses the magic ingredients in a great RPG.
- Special icon interview: John Romero, creator of Doom, and game designer Brenda Romero, discuss RPGs and shooters in 2020.
- Pre-show charity stream: Sekiro Speedrunner Countdown Challenge by LilAggy
- Publisher showcase: Marvel’s Avengers WAR TABLE stream (Square Enix) [with IGN pre- and post-shows]
- Unannounced Game Reveal – Exclusive Reveal Trailer
- Cartel Tycoon – Exclusive Trailer Reveal
- Dreamscaper (Afterburner Studios) – Exclusive Gameplay Feature Deep Dive
- Shadow Arena – New Hero Exclusive Trailer Reveal
- Sherlock Holmes: Chapter One (Frogwares) – Exclusive Behind the Scenes Look
- Unannounced Game – Exclusive Gameplay
- BioMutant (THQ Nordic) – Exclusive Gameplay and Experiment 101 Interview
- TBA The Witcher 3 Speedrunner Countdown Challenge
- Publisher showcase: CD Projekt RED Livestream (with IGN pre- and post-shows)
- Torchlight III (Perfect World Entertainment) – Gameplay and Interview with Series Creator Max Schaefer
- Special icon interview: CD Projekt Red’s Marcin Blacha discusses how the studio imbued The Witcher series with meaningful choices and iconic consequences.
Potential Publisher Showcases
Square Enix, Bethesda, Devolver Digital, Warner Bros., and Nintendo are expected to host their own showcases, although no official announcement has been dropped for each yet. After the overwhelming success of Final Fantasy VII Remake, Square Enix’s next course of action remains unclear, but many are speculating that the Japanese giant will be giving official word of a PC port. Presumably, the final gameplay of Marvel’s Avengers is also primed for a grand unveil.
Bethesda, meanwhile, has confirmed that it won’t have a digital showcase in June, but assured fans that information on future titles will be shared. Ghostwire: Tokyo is already geared up for stage (or screen, in this case), with first-person action game Deathloop expected to take the spotlight as well. As for the hugely-anticipated Starfield, much remains under wraps, and it’s just a very slight chance that more details might surface. Not The Elder Scrolls 6, though – Todd Howard has mentioned that the fan-favorite series is still in the very early stages of development.
An absolute delight to watch, Devolver Digital’s showcases are often wacky and bizarre. The indie game publisher is more than familiar with the pre-recorded format of press conferences, and is looking to replace its E3 session with a planned livestream. What the company has up its sleeves remains to be seen, though one thing is certain: there will be at least one strange happening during its replacement event. No surprise there.
The physical cancellation of E3 2020 is a bummer to Warner Bros., who was set to host their very first press conference at the big gaming event. Given that its name is on the list of the Summer Game Fest, however, it seems the company has found another presentation space in the form of Geoff Keighley’s Summer Game Fest, which means its supposed new Harry Potter and Batman titles may be announced.
Nintendo was originally included in the line-up for E3 2020, keeping up its status as an event mainstay. As such, it’s likely that the Japanese giant has some news in store for fans, although what its content is anyone’s guess. Cloud save compatibility between Steam and the Switch, or a new game announcement maybe? Guess we’ll find out soon enough.
The bustling, hectic summer schedule promises to keep gaming enthusiasts on their toes, with plenty of focus on both AAA and indie titles. The cancellation of physical events is most certainly unexpected and unavoidable, so it’s nice to see that the spirit of gaming is being maintained in other days.
Si Jia is a casual geek at heart – or as casual as someone with Sephiroth’s theme on her Spotify playlist can get. A fan of movies, games, and Japanese culture, Si Jia’s greatest weakness is the Steam Summer Sale. Or any Steam sale, really.