Every year, Hollywood comes together to celebrate the best of movies at the Academy Awards. The 2023 iteration, hosted by Jimmy Kimmel for the third time, was particularly interesting for both the industry and casual viewer alike, as it saw several firsts among its slate of nods. All five Best Actor contenders were first-time nominees, while a total of four Asian actors received acting nominations, which charts new history for the long-running event. The Marvel Cinematic Universe got its first Oscar nod by the way of Angela Bassett as well, who was nominated for Best Supporting Actress.
And the night certainly didn’t disappoint. Everything Everywhere All at Once won seven of its 11 nominations, with Michelle Yeoh, Ke Huy Quan, and Jamie Lee Curtis picking up their first Oscar. A significant milestone for the two Asian actors, the awards ceremony also marked the glorious comeback of Brendan Fraser, winner of the Lead Actor category, and Ke himself, whose last big break was in Goonies and Indiana Jones: The Temple of Doom.
Hollywood’s biggest film event wouldn’t be complete without a star-studded cast of presenters, however. The likes of Harrison Ford, Halle Berry, Kate Hudson, Elizabeth Olsen, Pedro Pascal, John Travolta, and more took to the stage to announce the nominees and winners of each category.
Here’s the full list of the winners at Oscars 2023:
- Animated feature: Guillermo del Toro’s Pinocchio
- Supporting actor: Ke Huy Quan, Everything Everywhere All at Once
- Supporting actress: Jamie Lee Curtis, Everything Everywhere All at Once
- Documentary feature: Navalny
- Live-action short: An Irish Goodbye
- Cinematography: All Quiet on the Western Front
- Makeup and hair: The Whale
- Costume design — Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
- International film: All Quiet on the Western Front
- Documentary short: The Elephant Whisperers
- Animated short: The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse
- Production design: All Quiet on the Western Front
- Original score: All Quiet on the Western Front
- Visual effects — Avatar: The Way of Water
- Original screenplay: Everything Everywhere All at Once
- Adapted screenplay: Women Talking
- Sound — Top Gun: Maverick
- Original song: Naatu Naatu, RRR
- Editing: Everything Everywhere All at Once
- Director: Daniel Kwan and Daniel Scheinert, Everything Everywhere All at Once
- Lead actor: Brendan Fraser, The Whale
- Lead actress: Michelle Yeoh, Everything Everywhere All at Once
- Best picture: Everything Everywhere All at Once
With Everything Everywhere All at Once continuing to be an awards darling, more attention has been given to championing Asian representation — and other forms of it — within the industry. Prior to Oscars 2023, both Yeoh and Ke have already made history as the first Asian winners of the Screen Actors Guild Film Awards, and hopefully this diversity triumph will pick up in the years to come.
Congratulations to all winners!