Sentosa’s annual sand sculpting exhibition is back once again and this year it’s all about everyon’s favourite Marvel superheroes. Running from 1 to 16 September 2018 (just in time for the school holidays!), the 3,000 square metre exhibition on Siloso Beach this year is called Sentosa Sandsation: MARVEL Edition.
Geek Culture was invited to a special early preview, so we’ll present to you the 15 larger-than-life creations and the team behind them, lead by internationally-acclaimed Singaporean sand sculptor, JOOheng Tan.
Here’s a tip, try heading down during the evening to check out the sand sculptures, then go grab dinner nearby, then head back after the sun sets, for a different look at the creations. We hear Iron Man’s Arc Reactor lights up too.
#1. Sentosa Sandsation: MARVEL Edition (Spider-Man)
#2. Black Widow
#3. Captain Marvel
#4. Iron Man
#6. Captain America
#7. Black Panther
#11. Guardians of the Galaxy
#12. Doctor Strange
Sentosa International Sand Sculpting Championship
Apart from the Marvel-themed creations above, the 14 of the world’s best sand sculptors will also be pitting against each other for the Golden Shovel Award (US$5,000) where each of the sculptors will be creating their own unique pieces. They should be completing their submissions in the next couple of days so visitors will be treated to an additional 14 more sand creations real soon!
More Activities For The Whole Family!
For those looking for more excitement, there’s a host of interactive Marvel-oriented activities to look forward to, including:
- Hulk Smash: Discover how your strength compares to a Marvel superhero, as you watch the ground break and tremor according to the intensity of your smash and “Hulk Smash!” war cry.
- Sand Sculpting Workshops: Kids will get to partake in sand sculpting workshops daily, at 11am, 2pm and 5pm (onsite pre-registration is required).
- Freeze Frame Station: Show off your superhero moves along with other Marvel superheroes in a 180-degree photo opportunity activation, and take home a photo memorabilia after.
- Hero Action Centre: Find out how similar you are to a Marvel superhero, and bring home a limited edition Singapore-themed Marvel comic book.
- Movies By The Beach: There will be outdoor screenings of Marvel movies on the Palawan Green for all to enjoy (2 – 9 Sep, 15 – 16 Sep, at 7:45pm onwards).
Redeem A Limited Edition Singapore-themed Marvel Comic
Spend S$50 on Sentosa or participate in selected activities at the sand festival and redeem a unique Marvel comic book. It’s a limited run so don’t miss out if you want to add this to your geek den! Here’s a sneak peek at some of the inside pages:
Yonk is a geek who is fortunate enough to have an equally geeky Star Wars fan for a wife, who owns a LEGO Millennium Falcon encased in a glass coffee table as their home’s centre-piece.