Who thought the day would come when Konami actually gave gaming fans what they wanted after so many years? At Tokyo Game Show 2022, the company announced that Suikoden I & II HD Remaster: Gate Rune and Dunan Unification Wars will arrive in 2023 for the PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, and PC.
If you were not aware of these JRPG classics, here is the official description of Suikoden I & II HD Remaster: Gate Rune and Dunan Unification Wars via Steam:
A hero’s destiny is written in the Stars.
The legendary Konami JRPGs Suikoden I and Suikoden II have now been remastered in high-definition!
The Story of Suikoden I
A once renowned hero turns into a violent tyrant, and an empire falls into decline.A Liberation Army is rising up in an act of rebellion against an oppressive rule. One by one the 108 stars of Destiny gather to shape the course of history.
The Story of Suikoden II
Our story’s hero and his friend Jowy are members of the Unicorn Youth Brigade, which participated in a drawn-out border dispute between the Highland Kingdom and the City-States of Jowstown. A few months earlier, a truth agreement was signed between the two forces, both of which were happy to see an end to the fighting. However, hidden under the momentary peace the fires of a new war continued to smolder…
Fans can expect Suikoden I & II HD Remaster: Gate Rune and Dunan Unification Wars to boast some improvements and refinements to match the modern gaming landscape.
Suikoden I & II HD Remaster: Gate Rune and Dunan Unification Wars Graphical Improvements
- Pixel sprites and environment art enhanced with new screen effects including lighting, clouds, and shadow animations Flickering flames, smouldering smoke, and the movement of leaves and insects, all add up to a lively in-game atmosphere!
- The effects and direction have been redesigned, bringing memorable scenes back to life in more beautiful ways!
New Character Drawings
- All character portraits have been updated in HD. Junko Kawano, who designed the characters for the original version of Suikoden released in 1995, has newly re-drawn all the character portraits for Suikoden I HD Remaster Gate Rune War.
Suikoden I & II HD Remaster: Gate Rune and Dunan Unification Wars Sound Improvements
- Field Sound – A large number of environmental sounds not found in the original version, such as the sound of running water in the river, wind, insects, and running footsteps, have been added. You can enjoy an immersive experience like never before in Suikoden I & II HD Remaster: Gate Rune and Dunan Unification Wars.
- Battle Sound – All sound effects are now in HD. In addition to the impact of the 3D effects, the realistic sound greatly enhances the dynamism of the battles!
Game System Improvement
- Many new features have been added, such as dialogue log, auto-battle, double-speed battles, etc.
Needless to say, longtime fans have been waiting for ages for this to happen, while newcomers will finally get the opportunity to experience two of the best JRPGs ever to grace the genre, other than the upcoming spiritual successor of Eiyuden Chronicle.